Nicaragua is a vibrant, beautiful country...but it is also a place of tremendous need and opportunity to make a tangible difference. Consider the nation's poverty statistics from the United Nations Development Program (UNDP):
- Nicaragua is the second poorest country in the Americas
- 48% of the population lives below the poverty line
- Nearly 80% of Nicaraguans earn less than $2 per day
- Nearly 70% of Nicaraguans are unemployed or underemployed
- One in four children is born to a teenage mother
According to Unicef the educational gaps are also significant:
- One-third of the adult population cannot read or write
- Only 29% of Nicaraguan children complete primary (elementary) school
- It takes the average Nicaraguan 10 years to complete elementary school
- Less than half (40%) of students who finish elementary school go on to complete high school
And according to the FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations), poor agricultural practices and agricultural insecurity has led to sobering results:
- 27% of all Nicaraguans are suffering from undernourishment, the highest percentage in all of Central America
- One in three children suffer from some form of malnutrition
- 20% of the population could not meet their minimal daily caloric requirement if they spent 100% of their income on food.
Our Mission at NicaWorks! is to help impoverished Nicaraguans break the cycle of intergenerational poverty by providing real opportunities for economic, social, educational, and spiritual growth. Learn more about the Community and Asset-Based Solutions we're pursuing with local leaders to change lives.